Tuesday, 20 September 2011

The one with the bitches of eBay!!

So, a week or so ago I sold a whole bunch of crap on eBay!! Yay, I thought - more money into the stalking 100 Monkeys fund! Okay, so it was only about £30, but still - it was food and drink for a day at least :p

So…payments came in over the next few days (apart from one git who still hasn’t paid me…they have been reported!) and I spent an entire bloody weekend packaging everything up and sorting it all out. Then I hauled my ass to the post office twice after work that week to post it all!! Whoever thinks selling stuff on eBay is an easy way to make money is an idiot - it’s a huge hassle and as I hadn’t sold anything for awhile, I’d forgotten that!

So, everything was posted and I felt pretty pleased about it all. And then came the complaints….from two different people at the same time who claimed that what they had received wasn’t as described in my listing.

What the fuck?!



One girl claimed that the jumper she had bought from me was in poor condition, that the stitching was coming undone on the seams and she wanted a refund. I had handled and folded that jumper a lot over the past few days - if there had been a flaw as bad as she made out, I’m quite sure I would have noticed!! I sent her a message back saying I would refund the cost of the item minus postage charges and eBay/paypal charges, which seemed fair enough to me! Postage costs had been spent after all.

She then sent me a further message saying I should see the damage and would return the item, upon which she expected a full refund. It was late when the message came through or I found it on my phone and was about to shut the computer down, so I thought I’d reply tomorrow. I was going to say that was fair enough, return it and if I agreed the damage was as bad as she claimed (I still fail to see how!) I would issue a refund.

And then the next woman complained that the yoga mat I had sold her, which I listed as rolling out into a full size mat, was not full size at all. What the hell? She claimed to be some yoga teacher (nice teacher if she’s getting her supplies all second hand!) Now, I am not a yoga expert, have never done yoga, hence the reason I was selling it. So how the hell did I know what a professional mat size was supposed to be? I never listed it as being professional size or stipulated any exact sizes (which in hindsight maybe I should have done!) I simply meant that it rolled out into a mat, didn’t stay in a tube. It was bought as a yoga mat and it looked the same as any other to me…how is a novice meant to know?! She misunderstood m my listing - she could have emailed me to ask…but nope, just assumed!

So, I messaged her back and apologised for the mix up and that I hadn’t meant to lead anyone on and I wasn’t an expert so didn’t know. She never asked for a refund, so I never offered one - why should I? She should have checked! And I left things at that.

Only, the next evening, I found the jumper woman had issued a case against me because I had sold her something that wasn’t as described and wanted her money back. I was fuming because this was before I’d had chance to get online that day and reply to her last message…I did sleep late, but sod it - she could have given me a day or two to reply - I don’t sit in front of the computer 24/7 you know!! I wrote her what I admit was a snotty, sarcastic reply and decided to hell with it, have the money back because my job is stressful enough without coming online and arguing with some stranger over £5.00!!

I mean, I could perhaps understand if they had spent a fortune on these items, but we’re talking £2.50 and £3.50 here!! And they’re whinging about it?! And I don’t even totally believe them…I mean, as far as I was concerned the jumper left my hands in good condition - how do I know she didn’t ruin it herself because she didn’t like it or merely lie?! Or the other didn’t like the mat when it arrived, or wasn’t as she expected (did they not look at the photos I bothered to post?) Well, I’m sorry dears, that’s life - get used to a little disappointment!!

Only since then both have left me negative feedback and some rather nasty comments. Even the woman who got her bloody money back and kept the item as well! And that pissed me off the most because it ruined my perfect scored and I now have these nasty comment on there for all to see. And mostly because I take everything personally and I keep thinking about it and just wish I could forget and move past it and put it down to them being silly cows!!


I think people forget a lot of people are not some huge business or company on eBay….we’re just a single human being trying to sell a few things we no longer want to people that might want them. We make mistakes sometimes, we’re human and whinging at me because you’re disappointed and then being nasty about it, well…it’s not really fair - we are people with feelings that can be hurt - not a computer!! Do big companies refund postage when you return an item, erm…nope! Why should we have to when that means it’s come out of my own pocket and makes the whole point of spending time listing it and selling it utterly futile?!


I hate that there’s not more on eBay to protect sellers anymore. We can’t leave them negative feedback or anything these days - which is wrong! If they’ve pissed you about and stuff…we should be able to let people know they’re not a great buyer. All we can do is report someone as not paying….and yet they just get away with not paying anyways. And if small sellers like myself are going to suffer abuse and hassle like I did over a few pounds, then they’re just not going to bother anymore and eBay will become a bunch of people running business’ selling shit loads of the same items and it won’t be the same website that it once was. There needs to be more protection for us.


And as for those two women who complained - get a fucking life and quit moaning because you’re disappointed over a couple of quid spent!! Seriously…there’s more important things in the world to complain about!! And yeah, I know I’m moaning about it too…but only because the whole thing has really bothered me and I’ve taken the criticism to heart…I feel hurt almost and that sucks!!


What started off as a good idea ended rather badly. Gah!

xC

No comments:

Post a Comment