Saturday, 18 April 2009

Eternal Twilight Convention - Day 1

I originally posted these blogs on my Myspace account - but they were more or less ignored...so thought I would post them here as well!!

I got a little carried away writing this, because mostly I was writing it for myself so as I didn't forget anything! I know some people wanted to know about it though...so for your reading pleasure this blog will be in three parts - one for each day. And then I have a list of some of the questions answered and funny things that went on during the talks that will be another blog.

Enjoy...but if you're not into Twilight, it could bore you

****

I booked to go to this convention back in November…before I had seen the movie, back when only 2 or 3 guests had been announced (and one got changed anyways!) Never having been to a convention before and knowing I was going alone!!

I was nervous, anxious, not knowing what to expect - but I simply HAD to go!! Twilight, as sad as this may sound, became my life last year. It got me through some really horrible times - the characters became my new best friends when everyone else ditched me. It took a little of the sting out of losing my beloved show Blood Ties and knowing there will probably be no more. And then when the movie came out and the horror of my December happened - it was very possibly the only thing that made me smile. It was a distraction…escapism and much needed!! The only real highlight of my Christmas.

So, this convention was important to me…as more guests got announced, as I began posting on the forum, and an old friend said she was going and the date got closer I got more excited and yet more nervous at the same time!! I’m shy…pretty much a loner and the prospect of walking into a building that had well over 800 strangers in was a little daunting. I hoped to find me some new friends…replacing those that have dumped me of late.

But how do you find that one person to speak to amongst SO many?!

Apparently they find you!!

But, let’s go back to the beginning of my weekend (and sit comfortable - this could be a long one!!)

I had a case of the ‘night before Christmas syndrome’ - ie I was a tad excitable and couldn’t sleep on Thursday night!! Went to work, couldn’t concentrate on anything and just wanted 12.30 to come around so as I could head off to the train station! My friend Nicolle gave me a lift and then began my weird journey to Northampton on the train - it’s really not too far away, but the train took over 4 hours!!

I had arrived and checked into my hotel before 5pm. Just over an hour later I was at the Park Inn for the convention. I registered, got my pack (which included the photos you could get signed of each guest, a red apple (ala the front cover of Twilight) a la Push cliff Diving badge, a La Push stick of rock, the programme and other little bits of info) and my pass and everything. Just before that I bumped into my old friend Chloe and her friend, Brendan was it? Yikes - a tad useless with the names!! We had a brief chat, but they were heading back to their hotel. I walked through, overwhelmed with all the people there and felt a tad lost….so lost that apparently the only thing I could do was wander around the dealers room and spend too much money - oops!!

Then I hung around for the opening ceremony…and got to see the guests for the first time!! I was excited…but apparently not as excited as the girls who screamed at the flippin’ chairs before the guests even came in - erm…yeah, get a grip children!! They all entered the room - Kellan first I remember…and they all stood on stage to say hello to us and how they were looking forward to this weekend etc - but the screaming really was too much - thought I was back at a teeny bopper boy band concert!! I took pics then and during all the talks, but the camera did not like the lighting in there (I SO should have taken my camera and not my mum’s!) so the pics aren’t very good!! They all seemed in good spirits and happy to be there and start the weekend!

After the opening ceremony I took my purchases back to my room and then headed back again for the ‘La Push Beach Party’!

That was weird…I was alone…and felt silly! But, I went…the decorations were amazing - such attention to detail - they had those Twilight umbrella’s with the twinky lights hanging from the ceiling and silver strands to look like rain. Buckets and spades were on the tables, and they had a surf board version of the bucking bronco game - which many brave souls tried (I kept hoping Kellan would come have a go!! Lmao!)

I sat at a table with a few other people, but they didn’t really speak to me - it’s hard when loud music is playing though. But I was alright there just enjoying the music and watching stuff going on, hoping for an appearance of the guests. I don’t do dancing anyways! But then one of the crew came over and asked if she could leave her wine and stuff on the table next to me…I said she could and then this guy who was with her came over too and the night got a tad weirder!! He was American, much older (said he was there with his daughter) and seemed a little drunk and a tad creepy….and he kept asking me to go dance with him, and have fun with him and asking why I was alone and blah blah blah - I admit I couldn’t hear much of what he said, but he was driving me insane at one point (and I got earache from him yelling in it!) I’m shy, I was alone with no back up and he was hitting on me!! I wouldn’t have minded at all if it had been some nice guy - but no, apparently I only attract weirdos! He would not let up, every time he disappeared and I thought I was alight, he’d come back. The woman from the crew said he was alright, but how did she know? She’d just met him too!! Anyways, in the end he was driving me so nuts asking me to dance and trying to drag me to the dance floor and he brought these 2 girls over who he claimed was his daughter and her friend (who knows!) and then Muse’s ‘Supermassive Black Hole’ came on - I adore that song, so I gave in and said I would dance to this, and that was it! I danced…it wasn’t too bad…and then disappeared to get a drink after (discovered they also had karaoke out in the bar area and other stuff!) I came back and he was still hanging around, so after I drank my drink, I left (was just before 11pm) I was tired anyway and not much enjoying sitting alone with creepy guy annoying me!! I was in bed and asleep before 1am!!

Day 2 - next blog!!

No comments:

Post a Comment