Saturday, 16 May 2009

Twilight Tattoo's

So, I know I said my blog wouldn't be entirely about Twilight - but perhaps I lied!! Sod it, it's important to me right now, it's my obsession and I have no one else to discuss stuff with, so I do it here!! Though, I do have some other rants to get off my chest at some point - none Twi related rants that is!! Sure you're all thrilled about that!!



But, today I just felt like rambling about Twilight related/inspired Tattoos.



So, some fan has apparently had Rob Pattinson's autograph tattooed on her wrist....and many people have immediately jumped on the poor fan saying that she (or he I guess could be! But for now we're going to assume it's a she!) is insane, is what gives Twilight fans the psychotic image, that Rob would run screaming from her and that she generally needs help and or medication.



For fecks sake - it's a tattoo of a squiggle!! She hasn't stapled the man to her body. She isn't out with binoculars peering into his windows and she isn't chasing him all over the world.



There are fans who have done much much worse, and not just Twilight related. What about fully grown men who get silly football tats? What about some girl I know of (note that I only know of her, she's not a friend of mine!) who has ALL of the boyband Boyzone's faces/portraits on her body? What about the many, many people who have rock stars names tattooed on them? Why is this poor girl any worse?! Because he's a seemingly shy actor who doesn't seem to know what to do with his sudden fame? Because all the fans seem to want to mother him and look after him - like they're all his personal bodyguard? Or are they jealous because their mothers would never let them do something like that?



I think some of it comes down to personal opinions about tats and what they mean to you. If you hate them, then anything done seems silly. But, tattoo's are just that - very personal and often times mean something only to the person who's body it's on. I've seen people have some very random stuff done that I think it weird - such as an Hilda Ogden portrait, the Here's Johnny man (because I can't think what movie that is right now) etc, but I'm not going to go tell that person I think they need medical help!



Each to their own. I currently have 5 tats and am considering more and designing them. One of mine is a paw print and I presume another Twi fan would see that and assume it's for Jacob (as happened at a Twi con) erm, no - it's for my beloved cat - it's nearish my heart, since cat's leave paw prints on your heart. I also have a vamp bite on my wrist and bats on my back because I have a long standing vampire fetish - not because I watched a movie and fancied an actor which is why I assume a lot of people simply like Twilight now - esp a lot of the newbies (I get to call them that because I discovered the books and fell in love with them a few months before I even found out they were making a movie!) And I have other things that mean something different to me. Like my Triquetra which most people would think I had just because I was a fan of the TV show Charmed - actually I have it because it's a Wiccan symbol, it's my personal beliefs and I like it.



A lot of people are saying that this girl will regret it when she's older, that she'll be embarrassed about it and it will get all wrinkly. Well, besides the wrinkly bit (and face it, skin gets wrinkly wether or not you have ink on it anyways so what is the difference?) but how do they know what this girl is going to think in 20, 30, 40 years? I doubt she knows, I doubt anyone knows when they get a tat. It's like getting married - you think it's going to be forever, but sometimes it isn't. So, you get a tat thinking you'll love it forever, and sometimes you don't.



But, just perhaps, maybe....this girl may look back on her autograph tat with fondness for a time when she was happy. For a time of her youth and the crazy fun stuff she did back then. For her love of an actor who made her smile. For the love of a book and movie that gave her escapism from reality. No matter whether it's as important to her then, it was once...and she'll remember that.



Which leads me to why this really irked me. Because I am planning a Twilight related tattoo. At first I was thinking of getting the movie logo - but I changed my mind and I'm glad I did....I don't want it to be that obvious. I want something more subtle, something that means something to me and maybe other fans would know. So I have chosen a quote from the books. But some people are saying that all Twi tats are crazy, that they love the books, but that's just too much.



Well....perhaps it doesn't mean the same thing as it does to everyone. I mean, perhaps to some they are just books and a movie and it's not as important. To me...they are filling a gap in my life. They are my much needed escape from reality, a distraction...something to make me smile and laugh and cry - something to be passionate about. The movie helped me through a rough time in the month I wish never happened. It gives me something to focus on, something fun to do and although I perhaps won't feel as passionately about it all in the future as I do now - it's not going anywhere.



Someone during these discussions said that Twilight isn't forever. What a dumb thing to say - of course it is! The hype with all the movies and the fans might not be. The passion from the fans may not be and many fans will probably drift away once it all calms down - they'll grow up, find the next best thing and move on. But, the books, the DVD's will always be there - will never let you down when you need them. You can always dip into that world again like a long cherished memory. It's always going to be a part of your future and hopefully something you can look back on with fondness and think, yeah, I remember that - was such a blast, wish I could go through all that again.



So, I see nothing wrong with getting a Twi tat if it matters to you. Personally I wouldn't have anyones name on me or an autograph - but to each their own. If this girl likes it and is happy with it - leave her alone!! There's much worse crimes being committed out there!! And if you want to have a go at anyone - how about all the paps who snap pics of Rob doing just about everything and never give him any peace? They'd freak him our more than some girl with a squiggle on her wrist!



Some people need to get a grip and keep their noses out of other people's lives!! Imagine how awful this poor person feels now, being ridiculed by all these fans who are just agreeing with each other because it's cool! Give her a break!



xC

No comments:

Post a Comment