After almost three years of waiting in hope. Another six months of waiting in anticipation. The day had arrived….the 100 Monkeys UK leg of their first ever European tour was about to begin and I was quite literally a nervous wreck!!
Weeks and months of planning and excitement was about to be realised. I was finally going to see this band live and not just on dodgy you tube videos or the occasional live stream. Plus….because of my VIP pass I purchased (which I was to become SO damn grateful for!) I had a meet and greet with them that very night. I was finally going to not only meet the man I am in total and absolute crush (love?) with, but the whole band! Hence the nervous wreck part!
Finally arriving in Manchester at about 2pm after a monotonous train journey, I met up at the hotel with Gillian and began to get ready for the show…both admitting we were nervous! We arrived at the venue, found out where I was supposed to go for the M&G and then got really, really scared!! I was soooooo nervous it was rather amusing!! Oh…and I had also burnt my hand on the curling iron whilst getting ready, so I was in pain and trying to cool it down at every opportunity!
After checking in for the M&G with Bauer (who would become a regular friendly face on the tour) and he realised I was a zookeeper, we got our passes, waited around a bit longer, spoke to a German fan I had spoken to briefly on Facebook who was also a zookeeper and asked her a few questions about how it all worked and what the boys were like etc. And then, we were led downstairs for the M&G….zookeepers were asked to go last, as we get slightly longer with the boys than a regular M&G
By this time, our nerves were on high alert! At the front of the line, Bauer asked me my name again and went to find my jacket which was part of my package. It was pretty cool…and he gave it to me there and then…which was a pain as I had my hands full of stuff already, but not to worry!!
Finally, it was our turn, Bauer opened the doors for us and we were ushered inside and….OMG there they were!! And the first words I uttered to them…‘just need to put this crap down‘!! Oh dear!! Lani took our cameras and I thought she was going to do the photo first, so I got all confused and walked over to them, confessing that I was really nervous and I think it was Ben G who said they didn’t bite!
Lani asked me then if I had something I wanted signing and I then realised she wasn’t doing the photos first. So I was like, oh yeah and swivelled back for the Troix magazine and told them that Gillian had been laughing at me because I had marked each page I wanted them to sign. They laughed about the marked pages and I think it was Jackson that said it was cool, but it may have been Jerad. I found all the pages and went around the band, holding it whilst they all signed it and I could barely look at them!!
I don’t know what the hell was wrong with me - have met loads of my fave celebs before and not been this nervous!! Rather strange! Anyways, after I went through all the boys and got them to sign their pages and I muttered something to Jackson about could he sign this page for me…I didn’t even look until much later what they had written for me! I just dumped it down after and grabbed their cards, checking with Lani that it was okay for me to give them to them now. Both Lani and the boys might have thought I was weird asking permission…but I’ve had experiences with other celebs when I’ve done something not usually allowed or whatever and been shouted at and I’ve then been mortified and cried!!
Anyway, she said sure, so I explained that I had made them all Christmas cards and they were all aawing over it before I‘d even handed them out. I also then explained that I hadn’t bought them any gifts because I had decided to donate the money I would have spent on gifts to the Spencer Bell memorial and there was a little note inside the cards about it. They seemed most gracious with that gesture and thanked me. To my surprise they all ripped their cards open then and there and read them.
Jackson was totally awed by my card or something. He kept saying how professional they looked, like they had been bought and the quality was amazing - which made me grin SO much!! I said that I was a geek who did a lot of craft stuff. He just kept flicking from the front to inside studying it all - it was kind of awesome that he was so impressed with it and it meant a lot to me! Perhaps now I should go into production and claim they are authorised by Jackson Rathbone - lol! I pointed out to Jackson that his monkey on the card had a little cowboy Santa hat, he looked closer and then turned to grin at me (our faces were very close!) and said ‘oh totally’!
Then Ben G was reading the little print out I had included in the cards about my donation and he said that was really very kind of me to do that and thanked me again. I said they were welcome or something (can’t remember exact words here!) But they were all so genuinely touched that I had done that and I was pleased I’d made that decision months and months ago that if I ever got to meet them or Jackson, that is what I would do.
Gillian said that she hadn’t made anything for them and had nothing to give them, Jerad laughed and said that I was making her look bad!! I again repeated that I was a geek who had nothing better to do in my spare time than craft stuff :p I wish I had shut up about that!! Jerad told her to do something next time and raised his fists as though the play fight with her - though I missed all that…probably gazing at Jackson or something :p
I shall admit that I honestly don’t know what Gillian did or said much with the boys…I seemed to be huddled in the corner with Jerad and Jackson (yes please! ;)) I remember, I think Ben G asking me if I was going to anymore shows, I said I was doing all the UK ones and he was like ‘oh sweet!’ happy that I was going to more. I think Gillian said she could only do 3 because she couldn’t get anymore time off work. I then confessed to them that I didn’t have permission to be there and I had phoned in sick for my work. Jerad and Jackson laughed and Jerad asked me what I had called in with, putting on a silly sick voice he said ‘hi, I have 100 Monkeys itis’ or something. And I said that I usually get tonsillitis around about this time of year, so that is what I was claiming I was sick with. And wished I would shut up rambling crap as Jackson repeated what I had said about tonsillitis and nodded to himself.
I remember Jerad asking me about the weather, if it was usually worse this time of year - I’m not sure why, it didn’t seem apropos to anything else we were talking about. But I told them that this time last year we had sheet ice everywhere and he said someone else had mentioned that. I told them it had been great fun when I’d had to walk between jobs in it - Jackson and Jerad seemed to find that amusing!
Gillian and Ben J were having a chat about Glasgow and how neither of them had been there, I butted in that I had!! And…I can’t quite remember what else we rambled about. I know I was a complete and utter fool that night - rambling about rubbish with them….and hogging Jackson and Jerad!! And I felt bad later than I had barely spoken to Larry or Ben J!
I think Lani went to take the picture next and I just rammed myself in beside Jackson - I didn’t care who was the other side, so long as I got to hold Jackson!! Luckily I got Jerad the other side that night! I remember having my arm around Jackson and thinking how nice and soft his jacket was - lmao!! And then Lani decided to take another photo to make sure…only the flash didn’t go off…so she took another, didn’t go off again. So Gillian said to take a photo on her camera too…which she did - so I got 4 photos and longer to stand beside Jackson *sigh*

Gillian’s turn was next….and after that I can’t remember what we did…I know we spoke about seeing each other in Glasgow the next day, and I said yeah as long as we make it up there! Lani misheard me, since she assured me that they would make it. Then she told me she’d come out with my VIP pass soon, when they came to let the zookeepers in, I thanked her, thanked the boys and gathered all my stuff together and exited the room….on a high!!!
Had to try and calm down after that - they were SO awesome! But already I was kicking myself for hogging the J’s, rambling crap and unintentionally ignoring Larry and Ben J!!
I wasn’t sure what to do next, where the zookeepers were supposed to stand for the early entry. But I found the German Girl (Romy) from before who had some more friends with her now and kind of just joined them….and followed what they did. Maris, another girl I spoke to on Facebook joined us and we kind of waited in the entrance area…whilst poor Gillian had to rejoin the back of the queue in the rain and cold L
In the end, the idiot venue crew messed up and started letting in the crowd before we had been taken down there…so we had to run and thankfully Maris isn’t shy, so yelled at these other girls that zookeepers went in first and we did still get front row at the barrier. In the end Gillian wasn’t too far behind me. But after the support act had been on (who are pretty good - I like some of their music and the singer has a lovely voice!) but in the break, Lani announced that they had a special place for zookeepers to stand, and Bauer was there to let us all through - we were basically stood on the side of the stage!! Oh, and Bauer finally gave me my VIP pass!
The show was in one word - awesomeballs!! I don’t think I have ever danced or sang or….genuinely had such a good time at a gig before!! And I have been to many many gigs!! The viewing area was so cool in that we had space to dance and move and stuff….and I jumped around like a loon, snapping away with the camera! Although I did sometimes feel a bit like their backing singers or something - lmao!!

Tonight’s improv was ‘Private Party’ and was sung by Jackson….I videoed it - the picture isn’t that great but the sound is okayish….just wish I could understand what Jackson is singing!!
But…wow - they played a fantastic set and I’m in awe of their talent….I LOVE watching them play their instruments. Yes, both because it is erotic to watch, but also because they get so lost in the music at times and it’s a pleasure to watch them doing something they love so much. (and that whole sentence sounds very wrong :p) I was SO sorry when it was finished - a truly awesome gig! Despite the idiot fans who kept yelling at Jackson and telling him to say darlin’ - shut the hell up you twits!! I think even Jackson said something about if I say it will you shut up?!

I know there were a lot of Twilight fans who had just gone to see Jackson and had no knowledge of their music or the band…which is fair enough - we all have to start somewhere and hopefully some of them went away really liking the band and the music. But some of them were so obvious about it and obnoxious that it honestly did piss me off and made me ashamed to like Twilight as well!
I don’t know if it was just me, but I did seem to get a few grins off Jackson during the show…especially when he was playing drums - he seemed to keep looking at me!! And I wish I could remember more little facts about the first show - but I think I was just so overwhelmed by it all!! Honestly one of the best gigs I have ever been to!

After the show I went to find Gillian…and was dismayed to find out she’d had a diabetic hypo during the gig and missed the last 20 minutes or so!! Felt really bad that I hadn’t noticed, but she assured me that she felt fine now and people had taken care of her.
We were going to join the line for the signing. I could get front of line with my pass, but since I’d have to wait for Gillian either way, I was planning to stand in line with her. But she decided that she didn’t have anything else on her to sign and that she could buy merchandise the following day, plus with her not feeling so great it was probably wise to get back sooner rather than later and eat!
So, I found Bauer who took me directly to the front of the line. Felt a little awkward as he placed me right in front of Cara’s (the support acts name) desk and she thought I wanted something….I did ask her if the song ‘Dream’ was on her CD as I really like it, but sadly it wasn’t. And then I went and bought some 100 Monkeys merchandise from Will (Thwilla) a new T-shirt, copy of Liquid Zoo to get signed for my nephew and finally a copy of the Girlfriend soundtrack I had been wanting for ages!
When the guys came in and sat down, I was ushered forward and felt so weird being first! They all smiled at me and I gave them the CD to sign and I muttered something about needing it for my nephew (I didn’t want them to think I had only just bought the CD - have had it since release!) Jackson said something about my nephew (but I can’t remember what) and I told him he was 13. And then I told him that the show had been awesome and he grinned at me. Lani handed me my copy of the set list that was also included in the package, thanked her and carried on down the line. Told Ben J and Larry they had all been amazing, Larry handed me my CD cover back and I thanked them, he smiled at me and that was it.
Found Gillian just outside the door and we headed back to the hotel, gushing over how amazing the show was and how awesome they were and went through our photos once back at the hotel before sleep!

No comments:
Post a Comment